Thursday, February 19, 2009

Getting Anxious

Can you tell that I'm anxious to leave the sandbox?:


Yes, I've already started packing up things that I don't need or haven't used. Note to self; bring less stuff next time. As we start to come up on two months left here in country I've started thinking more about the things that I miss and things that I'm looking forward to. Of course my family is first. I can't wait to be with Sarah and Abby. Here are some other things that I'm looking forward to:
I can't wait to be able to walk across the hall to the bathroom instead of across the compound.
I can't wait to eat home cooked meals. (Even if I have to prepare them myself).
I'm not going to miss inhaling all of this Iraqi dust.
I'm not going to miss putting on 35 lb of gear and driving an up-armored truck to go to the market.
I can't wait to ride my motorcycle.
I'm not going to miss showering with the guys.
I can't wait to eat Chinese food made by Chinese people or Mexican food prepared by Mexican people.
Don't worry, I know that even though we're getting close to being done we still have work to do. Once I get in the truck headed out the gate all thoughts turn to the mission and what I have to do to keep safe and do my job.
It seems just like yesterday that I was the new guy walking around with huge eyes wondering what I was doing here in a different country.

4 comments:

Marie said...

Missionaries call that "trunky", right? Stay focused, so you make it back safely!!!

Tuthill Family said...

Try not to think about it too much - you'll be home before you know it!

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to have you back either!! You might want to scratch the motorcyle one, I rode that back to PA...

Unknown said...

Yay!!