Thursday, October 11, 2007

PRK


Look! No contacts! Hey guys, just a little update. The PRK surgery went great. The moment that I got up from the table I could see fairly well. I had 7 days off from work with strict orders to rest my eyes so my Vicodin and I shared the next couple of days being good friends. Sarah was a saint and kept the house running while I stayed in the bedroom snoozing off and on. (I have never slept so much in my life!) After just a few days the pain went away so I quit the Vicodin and tried to rest my eyes as much as possible. Sarah kicked me out of the house after my 7 days so I could go to work for a day before our 4 day weekend! (I think I was getting on her nerves a bit.)
I'm very functional right now with probably 20/40 vision. My eyes are still sensitive to sunlight, so I make sure I have sunglasses when I go outside.
This is amazing! If any of you have a chance to do this surgery I would recommend it. (I chose PRK over Lasik. I think that it's better, but that's just me.) It's nice not to have glasses or contacts to worry about. It's still a bit weird not taking my contacts out at night or not reaching for my glasses in the morning. Yes, my insurance is great. It makes up for being underpaid and overworked.

4 comments:

Nicki said...

I am so happy foy you guys, and hopeful, too! I keep praying for you guys! Good luck!

Just another Army wife.... said...

Thats great! It is probably really hard to break the habbit of reaching for your glasses or taking care of your contacts! Im sure you cant wait until everything is "Normal" with your eyes and they arent sensitive and all that. Congrats!

Gallups Family said...

Ryan had this surgery done about 3 years ago, and he loves it. He still struggles with dry eyes, but nothing compares to being able to see clearly without glasses or contacts. During his flight check ups, Dr.'s rave about what excellent vision he has. It makes Ryan proud of the choice he made. Theres a chance he may have to wear glasses as he gets older (50+), but thats fine by him. Well worth the surgery! Good luck with your vision, and I hope you have as much success as he has!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous, I cant believe you got it so fast i am on a waiting list and will have to wait until after deployment. BLAH! well at least i get to wear contacts and not those Birth control googles. -battle